Saturday 11 May 2013

Welcome to the Everyday Body Language Blog!



I believe that anything that helps us relate better to one another is precious in Today’s isolated modern living. We all need to understand each other, and because of lowering attention spans and the  decrease in general time we a lot each other for interaction, it is very important to get the most out of every interaction, with regard to both mutual growth and personal enrichment. After all that is what communication is about: connecting!

The jury is out on how much of communication is non-verbal (side note: when we use the term non-verbal, we refer to all those aspects of communication that may be used to transmit information of all kinds, not including the words spoken). Some say that 90% of all communication is nonverbal whereas some claim that it is 60%. I am of the belief that the numeric value of the role of non-verbal communication in human interaction is indicative in nature; it just illustrates the fact that it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it!

After four years of studying various aspects of Body Language in various styles and multiple theoretical underpinnings (psychotherapy, Transactional Analysis, Evolutionary Psychology, etc), I have realized that the most useful application of Non-Verbal Communication does not occur in Deception Detection, Diplomatic Affairs or Corporate Espionage, it rather lies in using Body Language to communicate better; Body Language is best used in our everyday lives when we use it to communicate  effectively.

Although Body Language Analysis is done pretty widely, and there are multiple sources both free and paid over the internet to get that information, the matter lacks one very key ingredient: They Do Not Answer the question: How can I apply this to my life? Both this Blog and My Work try to answer this question: How do I use Body Language to relate with others better?




This Blog is a collection of those things that interest me about Non-Verbal Communication. It may be about a place that I visit, or an experience that I have had. I hope that this creation will inspire thought and help my readers create a heightened empathy, and that their outlook changes positively!

Cheers!
©Shivam Nemani

No comments:

Post a Comment