Thursday 18 July 2013

Ace the Interview and Feel Confident: Anywhere, Any Time

A lot of my friends wish to know how they can put NVC to use in their life. Amongst other requests, most of them want to know how they can project a confident ‘persona’, especially in interview scenarios. So, I asked a few hiring professionals from head hunting institutions what they were looking for in a candidate in terms of the qualities prospectives project outwards. All companies, when looking to hire, are especially keeping an eye out for those who can convey their potential effectively and are assertive. Nobody wants to hire someone who is not sure of themselves, and they want to know that their future employee can back himself or herself.

I am sure by now you are already acquainted about those body positions that make you appear confident. Upright, energetic posture; loud, decisive diction; strong and assertive eye contact. These are all the things you need to look confident.



Don't Slouch Before Interviews!
Feeling confident, on the other hand, is more difficult. If you are not confident and still attempt to hold these positions, your body language will slip up. You will begin stammering, fidgeting and your hands will move awkwardly. I know because I have been there. What I also noted down was that even though I did everything I read about in a setup where I had to be assertive and prove myself, it didn’t seem to come off well as a whole. Then, I made one small change to my approach, and I am now seldom made nervous by 
any testing time.

What I was doing before the interview did not put me in a confident frame of mind. In order to appear confident I needed to be confident. However, whilst waiting for my turn I would usually slouch and take up a not so confident posture, like many who you may observe waiting in office reception rooms for their interviews. Research shows that the type of body posture you hold actually changes your neuro- and bio-chemistry; holding more confident postures, lowers your cortisol (released when your body is stressed) levels and increases testosterone, so you actually begin to feel it. This works the other way round too; holding slouches or smaller posture actually increases cortisol.

So here is one way to walk into the interview or ‘high-stress’ scenario brimming with confidence: be confident from the get go. Whilst waiting to come in, or on your way there, no one is watching you, you can do whatever you do to psych yourself into a confident mood, and go from there. You could also “Power Pose”, which automatically boosts testosterone level and reduces cortisol to make you feel insanely confident. Follow this Blog, for my next post will be on Power Posing J.


Picture courtesy:
http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/00/82/34/600-00823417fw.jpg
http://static4.depositphotos.com/1011061/333/i/950/depositphotos_3331815-Confident-relaxed-business-man-sitting-on-a-chair-over-white.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment