Monday 10 March 2014

The Secret Communication of Leaders

Non-verbal communication is about human interaction. I want to take a detour from our usual topics and talk about a higher level topic here. This is about Collaborative Communicators.

There comes a point in conversation with someone where you don’t really think about the individual aspects of their communication, and where everything they do or say is encapsulated by a larger point. I am especially interested in that brand of communication that I have seen in charismatic people and leaders who have seen a lot of success handling others. There is one form of communication that binds them all. And everything they do or say can be paraphrased in the following points:

1.      You are part of my team and I will protect you.
2.      I am on your side and want to see you succeed.
3.      I value you.  

Think back to someone who you think is an inspirational leader. How does this person’s communication leave you feeling? If that person owned a sports team, would you want to be associated with it? Would you let them take care of your kids? Do you believe they have your best interest in mind?

Now, the interesting part about this form of communicator is that they don’t do one certain thing that has this kind of effect, but it comes from a central mental attitude with regard to their beliefs and perspectives, which resonates outwards into their behavior both nonverbal and verbal. It’s some groundbreaking stuff for me, and I am excited to bring this to our coming workshops!

Picture Courtesy: http://botheone.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/barack-obama-2012-election-speech-5815.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment